Saturday, March 8, 2008

FA Cup folly

I am so annoyed over Manchester United's exit from the FA Cup today. Going out to Portsmouth at home! How did that happen? They beat them recently enough in the league and while they only won two nil that day they played them off the park and missed a host of chances. The same thing happened again today but this time they didn't take any of their chances and lost to a penalty. So, so annoying.

I've heard Ferguson giving out about the referee and yes, I agree that he made a mistake in not awarding a penalty to United in the early stages of the first half but he isn't addressing the real issues. They played well, controlled the game and made chances but they didn't take them. Not for the first time either. I still think they need a real goalscoring striker and I've thought that all season. I know Rooney and Tevez have both scored goals this season but neither are near 25 goals. A striker like Berbatov or Eto playing in this team would easily have 25-30 goals. I'm not saying get rid of either Rooney or Tevez just have them playalongside a real goalscorer. At least Ronaldo is doing the business.

It should make me happy that at least Chelsea were knocked out today too but that infuriate me more as it should have meant United being the out and out favourite for the competition. I suppose in recent times they have been unlucky as this I think, was their 13th consecutive meeting with Premier league opposition. Compare that with a team like Liverpool who always seem to be playing lower league opposition.

Anyway, there is always next year.

No comments: