Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Some words on Batman: Arkham Asylum

Another in the Gamepedia series of entries. 


Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games of the current console generation but I didn't always feel that way about it. I remember I was excited to play this game and I downloaded the demo on the PS3. I was very disappointed in it though as I felt the combat was just a button-mashing mess. I never even considered purchasing the game after that.


Then about 18 months later after hearing nothing but praise for the game I decided to try again. This time I got a much better appreciation for the combat. I realised it is all about rhythm, to a point where this could almost be considered a rhythm game. Once you get the hang of the combat it becomes immensely satisfying to take on a gang of thugs and pull off amazing combat moves one after the other.


The design of Arkham Asylum and the characters is excellent along with truly wonderful voice acting. The plot and pacing of the game is also extremely tight. My one main criticism would be the difficulty spikes when battling some of the bosses.

No comments: