Monday, July 12, 2010

Can Inception save film in 2010?

I haven't posted anything about film on here since I started writing again. Photography and gaming posts have been the main focus recently. Truthfully, there hasn't been that much to write about as 2010 has proven to be a fairly poor year for film thus far. One suspects that we are now seeing the effect of the writers strike from 2008. Below is the list of movies that I have been to see at the cinema this year. Two things immediately strike me about the list. Firstly, it is shorter than it normally would be at this point in the year and secondly, only two films really stand out - Kick-Ass and The Road.

  • Daybreakers
  • The Road
  • Brothers
  • The Lovely Bones
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Greenzone
  • Kick-Ass
  • Clash of the Titans
  • Iron Man 2
  • Robin Hood

The last film on the list was out about eight weeks ago. A very long time, for me at least, not to have been to the cinema. Now that the World Cup is over it frees up much more time but it wasn't just a time constraint that has kept me from seeing new films. It has been the lack of any film worthy of making the time to see it. Things might be about to change though, with the imminent arrival of Inception, the latest film from the superbly talented Christopher Nolan. If any one film can save this year from going down as the poorest in many, many years it is this film. The 16th of July can't arrive soon enough. In the meantime, I am going to take in Predators. Not likely to be a classic but I'm hopeful that it will be fun at least.

No comments: