Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Challenge

At the office Christmas party a book entitled "1001 movies to see before you die" was presented as a Kris Kindle present. This sparked a conversation at our table about whether or not it was possible to see 1001 movies in your life without sitting down and watching one movie after another, but rather watching them at a reasonable rate.

Now I contend that 1001 movies is not an unreasonable number of movies to see in ones lifetime. Especially considering that 73 years is considered to be the average lifespan of an Irish male. So I've gotten it into my mind to try to prove myself correct.

I don't know what is compelling me to do this as it could be a big undertaking and I'll probably get fed up long before even the halfway point. Is there any rational for this? I suppose I'm interested to see roughly how many movies I have seen or I'm just dedicating some creative juices to the wrong task. To start this I have to lay some rules.

Firstly, I need to find a comprehensive list of movies that are out there. To this end I'm going to enlist the help of a popular online box office website called boxofficemojo.com. This site contains a listing of over 9,000 movies, arranged helpfully in alphabetical order. I like this list for two reasons. One it has enough movies to help me reach the magical number and secondly it contains movies released at the US box office. The latter point would make me believe I'm looking at a list of fairly mainstream movies, which I am not ashamed to admit is my meat and drink.

It will be interesting to go through the list and to try to remember something about the movie such as whether I saw it, my opinion of it, the cast or any interesting trivia. I will probably find myself looking up the bible (imdb.com) quite a lot.

I realise that this could turn into a rather large list, well potentially a list 1001 entries long. That kind of list is just too long to go into detail in this blog. So I intend to write periodic updates on this. I will be keeping a list of movies I've seen and I will link to it but I doubt anyone will be interested. In fact I doubt anyone has any interest in this blog at all. Anyway, I'll continue on with this madness until I get bored, forget about it entirely or finish it. For those movies I come across that I do find interesting I'm sure I'll talk about them in my updates.


I'm just thinking now to myself what is it exactly that I want to gain from this. Firstly, that I'm right about the amount of movies the average person can consume in their life. Secondly, it will give me a chance to get a list together of movies that I haven't seen but that I really should get around to. I'll have to remind myself to post about those movies that I need to see at the end of all this.


I will be starting off with the film titles starting with a number or symbol, the list of these is here. The actual list of movies can be found here.

No comments: