Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Missing Mass Effect

It has been a little over three weeks since I finished Mass Effect on the Xbox 360. I got the game a month before Christmas. The reason I got it then was I expected to get at least a couple of games over Christmas and I knew ME would be the type of game that would require dedication and time. The timing worked well as I got totally immersed in Bioware's universe and it was the only game in the 360's drive from the day I bought it until it was completed. According to the game's save file it took 35.5 hours to complete. When I say completed, I mean I have gone once through the game as a virtuous character. I do intend to play it through as a renegade, which should make for some interesting changes.

I took the long way around and did all the side quests I could find before continuing on the main story line. Bar some repetition with the look of many planets and the some missions I thoroughly enjoyed the game. So when I finished it I expected to jump back into it to continue on building up my character and make the opposite choices to those that I had made previously. This didn't happen though as a little game called Call of Duty 4 came into my possession. The point of all this is that I am looking around for mention downloadable content (DLC) for the game and coming up empty handed.

An article on IGN guessed that it would be very soon but I'd like to find a concrete date and some details. I hope that they make the DLC worthwhile with new missions and planets to explore. Also more time aboard the Citadel would be welcome but I do not expect them to further the main storyline. This would be risky as some people will not buy any extra content and will therefore miss out on the evolving storyline. These people would cry foul and rightly so. If the DLC gets announced and all that is there is new weapon and armour upgrades or other superficial stuff I will be extremely disappointed. I doubt that will happen though. After the team put so much work into creating such a large and complex universe why would they want to bring down the name with sub-par DLC. I expect we will have to pay for the pleasure but as long as the content is there that will be fine by me. Much like the issue over the iPod Touch 1.1.3 firmware upgrade.

The release of any DLC will renew my interest in playing the game but it will also allow me the opportunity to earn some of the Achievements I missed first time around. I know Achievements don't mean much really but they are nice to earn and being a perfectionist I like to get as many as possible.

So for now ME will lay dormant, waiting impatiently for some new content to arrive. Hurry up Bioware.

No comments: